Real talk, planning a child’s birthday party in your own home is a LOT of work.
Not only do you have to worry about the fact that you will be out numbered by a bunch of hyper kids.
But you also have the pressure of wanting to make this party the best birthday your little one will ever have (until next year of course).
For that reason, I have created a step-by-step guide to planning the perfect birthday party for your kiddo.
And the best part – all of these tips can be done from the comfort of your own home. No breaking the bank on booking out party rooms at your local play center.
Are you ready to raise the bar for birthday parties everywhere? Let’s get planning!
Here are 6 steps to throw the BEST At-Home children’s birthday party EVER!
Step One: Pick a theme.
Maybe you read that and thought, “that seems unnecessary, can’t I just buy a cake from superstore and make some goodie bags?”
But I promise this step will save you SO MUCH mindless wandering down isles at Party City, and countless hours of scrolling through Pinterest.
Commit to a theme, and get intentional about your party planning!
This step will help you decide on what games to play, food to buy, what entertainment to book, and more!
Here are a few of my personal favorite birthday party themes to get you started:
- 80’s party
- Arts and crafts party
- Halloween party – seasonal (costumes required – because it is adorable)
- Mexican fiesta!
- Petting Zoo (talk to your local pet store! Many of them offer to bring in a few furry critters for the children to interact with!)
- Movie night
Step Two: Game time.
The last thing you want is to unleash 15 children to run wild in your home without any plan to keep them entertained.
Using your theme of choice as a guide, hop on Pinterest and find a few games that will focus their energy.
Here are a few examples:
Having a back yard BBQ? Set up a fun obstacle course using toys your children already have.
– Hula-hoop for 10 seconds
– Crawl through the tunnel
– Pass the ball 10 times without letting it hit the ground
If you have a bit more in your budget, a Bouncy Castle will keep them occupied for hours and hours, and the parents will love you because they will have burned off all that sugar-fuelled energy from the cake.
Maybe you opted for a Mexican fiesta or Halloween party?
– Stick with the classics and play pin the tail on the donkey!
– Have them bob for “poison” apples
You are only limited by your own imagination in this step.
Step Three: Decorations
This is when you will truly thank me for encouraging you to go in with a theme.
Dollar stores, Party City, and Michaels cater to themes and colour pallets.
Banners, photo walls and props, tablecloths, and more!
I guarantee that, so long as you have a plan in mind, you will be able to transform your home to fit your theme.
Can’t find exactly what you are looking for? Let me introduce you to the magic of balloon art.
Click here to check out some of the amazing balloon walls and life-size balloon statues I have created. If you can think it up, we can create it!
Step Four: Music
This step has been made unbelievably simple by the existence of Spotify (even the free plan will do).
Look up a kid-friendly playlist and set it on shuffle and you are good to go!
This step may be simple, but there’s a reason it still makes the list
– Never underestimate the power of a good playlist at a party.
Music encourages dancing, laughing, and generally keeps the mood uplifted and fun!
Want to take the party to the next level? Consider leaving the music to the professionals!
Our DJ services will get your party pumping.
Light shows and a live DJ are sure to bring a whole new energy to your party.
If you want to get people on their feet, this is the way to go!
Step Five: Food!
This is another area where that theme will come in handy!
There are 3 key areas you will want to focus on here:
1: The Cake
– Bake it yourself, have your neighbor create a masterpiece for you, or pick one up from Superstore. A cake is the perfect opportunity to tie together your theme.
– My neighbor had an 80’s themed party for her 3-year-old last month – her cake was a big yellow packman, with little cupcake ghosts surrounding it. The kids probably didn’t get it, but it was a HUGE hit with the parents.
2: The Snacks
– I always like to recommend a few healthy snacks be available for munching on throughout the duration of the party.
Full bellies mean less likelihood of hanger outbursts.
3: The Main Course
– I always love seeing the creative ways parents incorporate the party theme into the main course meal.
– For example, a Mexican Fiesta theme is the perfect opportunity to have a, very cheap and easy to put together taco bar!
Step 6: Entertainment
Bringing in a level of professional entertainment goes above and beyond at any party.
Guests will leave starry-eyed after having witnessed real magic in front of their very eyes. The birthday girl/boy might even be asked to take on the role of magician’s assistant!
Here are a few top hits for children’s parties: